Any support for Pathfinder or other 3.x spin-offs?

The free roleplaying system that combines the best of D&D edition 3.0 and 3.5

Moderators: Kiojan, Strutinan

Raneth
Newb

Any support for Pathfinder or other 3.x spin-offs?

Postby Raneth » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Since 3.5 was canceled a number of third party publishers wrote their own spin-offs (or even before it was cancelled). Arcana Evolved,
Fantasy Concepts Campaign Resource, Fantasy Craft, Iron Heroes, Pathfinder, Radiance, Trailblazer, True20, and so on (more example availables @ dd-retroclones.html). Pathfinder is by far the most popular 3.x retro-clone, but compared to other examples it hews closest to the inspiration and slaughters no sacred cows. As far as Trailblazer goes, there's advice from the author on "trailblazing pathfinder" and a class comparison. FCCR is basically an OGL implementation of the Star Wars d20 SAGA system.

There are also a number of alternate or complementary psionics systems to those in the XPH (and there is a lot of psionic material), such as Mindcraft, Occult Adventures, Psionics Transcended: The Power of Ki, The Psychic (formerly Psitech), The Psychic's Handbook, Ultimate Psionics, and Anachronistic Adventurers: The Sensitive. Ultimate Psionics, based on the XPH and Pathfinder, is by far the most popular psionics system (the publisher Dreamscarred Press is also producing an Akashic Mysteries magic system). Occult Adventures is produced by Paizo, the publisher of Pathfinder, but uses "psychic magic" instead of psionics. Psionics Transcended is another XPH update for PF that uses "ki" as the basis of its psionics, like the monk and ninja, introducing "psionic magic" (similar to OA) and psionic versions of the core classes (similar to the Vancian to Psionics translation a while back); however, it seems to have been cancelled since 2011. The other three use 3.5 rules, but Mindcraft was taken down by its publisher Alea Publishing Group (probably due to redundancy?); the other two "Psychic" books introduce their own self-contained psionics systems: the TPH introduced a feat/skill-based system while TP introduced a unique system intentionally different from the previous spell-like and feat/skill systems. Also for UP, Psionics Augmented, Volume I introduces a Psionics domain for clerics and the OGL wiki has a Psionic Strike feat.

There is a wealth of material to draw on. A supplement specifically for PF/UP would receive the most attention in the market, though.

Strutinan
Mad Scientist Supreme

Re: Any support for Pathfinder or other 3.x spin-offs?

Postby Strutinan » Fri May 22, 2015 6:08 pm

Sorry but no. Even though the material all 3.x spin-off systems are based on are open for anybody to use, the individual ADDITIONAL material of each spin-off can be (and often is) copywritten or otherwise restricted...creating a mazework of legal problems.

So instead we are focusing on making Edition pi as universally-usable as possible, from a generic standpoint. If "Bob's Big Book of Rogue PrCs" uses the 3.x rules, then OUR Edition Pi: Can of Slimey Goodness material should work with it with very little problems. But since Bob has likely not put much of his material into universal-access for other developers, we cannot REFERENCE his book.

In order to avoid adding to this Gordian Knot, we are producing the Edition Pi core books with carte-blanche universal material access. If you like our psionics system, feel free to reference or even copy it whole cloth into YOUR book, for instance. Our only requirement is that you state WHERE you got it from (bragging rights, if nothing else).

Raneth
Newb

Postby Raneth » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Strutinan wrote:Sorry but no. Even though the material all 3.x spin-off systems are based on are open for anybody to use, the individual ADDITIONAL material of each spin-off can be (and often is) copywritten or otherwise restricted...creating a mazework of legal problems.
The books I mentioned are released under the Open Game License. It's legal to use any material in them that is designated as "open game content." Many books by other publishers have referenced Ultimate Psionics. You can read the unofficial SRD at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed.

Strutinan
Mad Scientist Supreme

Postby Strutinan » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:32 pm

I have looked at it in the past, after working on the Edition Pi psionics system, and the two went in VERY different directions. Personally I prefer the Pi psionics, from both a play and development standpoint, and so do my playtesters. About the only complaint I have gotten is that I haven't updated the Psionics Ascendent materials, which everybody wants to use, lol.

Return to “D&D Edition Pi”