Unarmed damage and replacement limbs

For all homebrew systems and suggested rules tweaks

Moderators: Kiojan, Strutinan

KittenHugs
Newb

Unarmed damage and replacement limbs

Postby KittenHugs » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 pm

I just feel that there should be some damage boost for beating the crap out of people with robot hands as opposed to meat hands.

Strutinan
Mad Scientist Supreme

Re: Unarmed damage and replacement limbs

Postby Strutinan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:35 am

Replacement Limbs are meant to be artificial analogues of flesh limbs, so the purpose would be defeated if there WAS a damage bonus.

That said, if you are using the Obvious mutable all of this goes by the wayside. It could be argued that Obvious Replacement Limbs would deal the same damage as a robotic Slam attack.

KittenHugs
Newb

Postby KittenHugs » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Makes sense
Another thing I've been wondering, do replacement arms/hands for drakes and serkalth include the claws they originally had? if so, are these claws "free" (no option costs) and could other races get replacement limb of a clawed race (ex. human with a serkalth replacement arm) and get the claw damage for free?

Strutinan
Mad Scientist Supreme

Postby Strutinan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:19 am

Yes, the claws are free, but they are not the cyber versions just analogues of the creature's normal claws. Rules already exist for giving cybernetic claws to the races that already have innate claws (use higher base die, plus one die step).

And yes they are "free", because they are already paid for by the race. Take Serkalth for instance: they have 1d8 claws at no GL, but part of this is as payment for the higher creation priority. From the non-mechanics standpoint, in the real world creatures with claws "pay" for them in other ways, such as loss of grip strength or ability to make fine manipulations.

yourcurtainsareugly
Newb

Postby yourcurtainsareugly » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:49 pm

But that leaves the question, can you give serkalth or drake arms to a human, orliss, or helizara? Realistically speaking, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but I would imagine it may be more difficult to adapt to. Rule mechanics-wise, there is no system currently for a race to "pay" for another race's abilities, though it is a possibility.

Strutinan
Mad Scientist Supreme

Postby Strutinan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Yes, you could do so, however incompatibility with the arm would cause a penalty. For example, try walking around with a boxing glove on only one hand for an entire day.

Return to “Rule Mechanics”