Winter UD game, discussion thread

Need advice on starting a new campaign? Have a funny story about your last session? Want to tell everyone about your 15th level monk/assassin? This is the place to go

Moderators: Kiojan, Strutinan

siflux

Re: Winter UD game, discussion thread

Postby siflux » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:04 pm

All of the proposed settings sound good. If I had to choose any over the others, I'd have to go for any that use the extra new races material (from Universal Expansion, I think? Not certain exactly which book it's from, since I only have the one chapter). Mostly for the Glamour level adjustment ability. Because nothing says fun like I reject your reality and substitute my own. So that's one vote for Ashes Survive.

Kiojan
Site Admin

Postby Kiojan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:14 pm

I'll vote for Ashes Survive unless someone really objects to it.

Strutinan
Mad Scientist Supreme

Postby Strutinan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:45 pm

The Alien Races material is ALSO available in Reality Bites, representing people who have been fundamentally corrupted by their experiences but still retain their humanity. Here, let me transcribe the relevant sections real quick...

TABLE 1-1: CHARACTER PRIORITIES
Priority...Anachronisms

(the rest of the table is the usual table for character creation, cash adjusted for modern-day campaigns)

Anachronisms
Each Anachronism can be either a Psionic or Spellcasting feat, including Wild Talents, or up to GLM +3 worth of cyberware (or Q4 if it has no GLM). Alternatively you can trade 2 Anachronisms for +1 LA in Alien Race abilities.

Both this setting and the Ashes Survive setting were made to test how multiple game elements interact and compare with one another, so they could be balanced. While Ashes Survive incorporated Mad Science, Reality Bites incorporated magic. Btw, the default magic flaw in Reality Bites is Mana: outside of an Incursion all Spellcraft checks are at -10, inside an Incursion they are at +0 with randomized bonuses and penalties...you never know WHAT they are until you go in (and neither do I!).

jakeofob
Commissioner of Bacon

Postby jakeofob » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:01 pm

I am really bad at deciding. Either Aegis or Ashes survive would be great. I am up in the air for both now.

siflux

Postby siflux » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:10 am

Strutinan wrote:
TABLE 1-1: CHARACTER PRIORITIES
Priority...Anachronisms

(the rest of the table is the usual table for character creation, cash adjusted for modern-day campaigns)

Anachronisms
Each Anachronism can be either a Psionic or Spellcasting feat, including Wild Talents, or up to GLM +3 worth of cyberware (or Q4 if it has no GLM). Alternatively you can trade 2 Anachronisms for +1 LA in Alien Race abilities.

How does trading Anachronisms for Alien LA factor in the alien abilities that have LA penalties instead of bonuses (sizes smaller than medium and the Dependency ability)? Is it 2 Anachronisms for every net +1 LA, is it required to trade in 2 Anachronisms to get any Alien Race abilities, or something else entirely?

Similarly, can Psionic and Spellcasting feats still be taken normally, or are they only available via Anachronisms? And are the expanded psionics in?

Strutinan
Mad Scientist Supreme

Postby Strutinan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:11 am

Your character still has to be able to pass for human when going through the airport, so massive changes like size shifts are not allowed. Other than that it is per +1 net LA. And yes the additional Psionics from the Other Settings chapter ARE in.

siflux

Postby siflux » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:04 pm

More clarifications:

I'm guessing that anachronisms for cyberware cannot be stacked into super-powerful cyberware (No spending two anachronisms for a Q8 cyber eye or a Q3 cyborg body, for example). Please confirm or deny this speculation.

Also, what's the starting level, and which background feats are available?

Strutinan
Mad Scientist Supreme

Postby Strutinan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:24 pm

2nd-level start. You CAN stack Anachronisms in Cyberware, but nothing can be above GLM +4 (if it has GLM), or Quality 5 (if it does not). Use the generic Background feat bonus options in Chapter 18, no premade ones.

Return to “Table Talk”